Hocus Pocus was first in theaters over 20 years ago! Besides making us take stock of what we’ve been doing all this time, that fact has made us want to relive the days of the Sanderson Sisters and just bask in their effortlessly terrifying tale. Here are our favorite 20 things about this film, one thing for each year since its release:
1. This set.
Complete with cast iron skillets, really old brooms, and the rope from when their lair was turned into a museum.
2. The complete transformation of one Ms. Kathy Najimy.
Seriously, how does she get her mouth to do that for a whole almost 2 hours?
3. The word amok.
Amok amok amok amok!
4. This quote: “Don’t get your knickers in a twist! We’re just three kindly old spinster ladies.”
And our knowledge of substantial evidence to the contrary.
5. That moment when Max tricks the witches with “the burning rain of death!”
Just water, gals.
6. Bette Midler’s lipstick.
And borderline beehive hairdo.
7. That time the Sanderson Sisters crashed this Halloween party.
And the song that ensued, which will forever be stuck in our heads. (♫ I’ve put a spell on you… and now you’re mine! ♪)
8. Tiny. Thora. Birch.
And her extreme sass-itude, especially when using the word “yabbos.”
9. The fact that Winifred was “cursed with such idiot sisters.”
We wouldn’t have them any other way.
10. The way the magic in this movie takes the form of green lightning.
11. Winifred’s nails.
Also, hidden Mickey with her head and hair. We’re not the only ones who noticed that, right?
12. Broom flying.
Honorable mention to vacuum flying, too.
13. The fate of these bullies.
Note to selves: Be nice to people or you may end up being held captive by witches.
14. The fact that the parents dressed up in these outfits for Halloween.
And that strangely fabulous woman next to them. We never noticed her until just now.
15. The delight Winifred takes in conjuring up her magic potions.
We’re kind of jealous. Our cooking is never quite this magical or happiness-inducing.
16. Thackery Binx in cat form.
Even though he lost his sister and was doomed to live forever as a black cat, he finds a way to be awesome.
17. SJP’s character and her tendency to climb fences and twirl around in circles.
She maybe wasn’t the sharpest witch in the coven.
18. These three humans.
And how hard they fought to keep all the children of Salem from having their souls… well, sucked out by witches.
19. Max’s eventual friendship with this dude:
He was a good zombie long before zombies were cool.
20. The fact that the movie ends with the following line from Thackery Binx: “I had to wait 300 years for a virgin to light a candle.”
HA. Hocus Pocus 4eva!
Bonus: Hocus Pocus is airing October 26 at 1opm/9c as part of ABC Family’s 13 Nights of Halloween! We’ll be watching.