It’s universal truth time, y’all: Mufasa is pretty much the best. He’s wise, yet fun. He’s stern, yet kind. And he always seems to know the right thing to say. (It probably doesn’t hurt that everything he says is in the voice of James Earl Jones.) Here are the 15 things we like most about him—and trust us, narrowing it to 15 was a challenge of epic proportions:
1. The awesomeness that is this quote: “Everything the light touches is our kingdom.”
And the continued awesomeness that is the whole moment.
2. His friendship with Rafiki.
3. That smile.
Which comes accompanied by the ultimate belly laugh, and just a touch of wisdom.
4. The way he held his ground with Scar.
That dude can be scary.
5. That time he taught Simba how to pounce.
6. The fact that he’s able to impart knowledge even while he’s disciplining his son.
7. How he somehow manages to be wise from somewhere we can’t identify.
He’s right, right?
8. His stellar sense of humor.
9. His theories on the cosmos.
We’re into it.
10. How proud he looks in this moment.
The phrase “pure joy” comes to mind.
11. Everything about this horseplay scene.
Or, should we say lionsplay?
12. Two words.
13. How well he’s able to explain the Circle of Life.
It’s nothing short of poetry.
Yeah. We know.
15. The fact that he’s entirely epic in every form.
We know the hyenas were a little nuts, but we find ourselves chanting “Mufasa, Mufasa, Mufasa” almost daily. And now you know why!