The wind is blowing from the East, and we’re all looking forward to the release of Saving Mr. Banks. It’s a practically perfect time to test your knowledge of Mary Poppins!
1) What is the name of the bank where Mr. Banks is employed?
A) First National Royal Bank of London
B) The Dawes, Tomes, Mousley, Grubbs, Fidelity Fiduciary Bank
C) Merchants’ Bank of Fiduciary Capital Conservancy and Colonial Expansion
2) Who is Jane and Michael’s nanny before Mary Poppins?
A) Katie Nanna
B) Nanny Brooks
C) Miss Meacham
3) At which London landmark do Mary and the children encounter the Bird Woman?
A) Westminster Cathedral
B) The Houses of Parliament
C) St. Paul’s Cathedral
4) Who provided the voice for Mary’s parrot-headed umbrella?
A) David Tomlinson
B) Sterling Holloway
C) Dick Van Dyke
5) Which song from Mary Poppins took home the Oscar® for Best Original Song?
A) Chim Chim Cher-ee
B) A Spoonful of Sugar
6) Which song in Bedknobs and Broomsticks was originally written for Mary Poppins?
A) A Step in the Right Direction
B) The Age of Not Believing
C) The Beautiful Briny
Scroll down for the answers!
1) B — It’s quite a mouthful, but it does sing well.
2) A – Katie Nanna was played by Elsa Lanchester, best known for her role as the Bride of Frankenstein.
3) C – The Cathedral is also seen in Mary’s snowglobe during the “Go to Sleep” musical sequence.
4) A – David, who played Mr. Banks, did double-duty as the voice of the umbrella.
5) A – Best Original Song was just one of the film’s five Academy Award® wins, including Best Actress for Julie Andrews.
6) C – The Sherman Brothers wrote the song for a deleted sequence in Mary Poppins in which characters travel around the world with the aid of a magic compass.