You’ll see plenty of Disneyland Park Guests munching these sweet sticks – the perfect portable food from Maurice’s Treats in Fantasy Faire. Here’s an easier home version of the recipe using store-bought puff pastry and fresh berries – but you could always substitute your favorite jam, too. The twists are delicious just out of the oven.
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 (17.3-ounce) box (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry, thawed
Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mash mixture with a potato masher until the berries are softened and sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to high, and bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil, stirring often to prevent mixture from sticking to pan, until thick, about 5 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Place one sheet of puff pastry onto a lightly floured, movable, flat surface, such as a lightweight cutting board. Lightly dust surface of pastry with flour and roll to smooth creases.
- Spread pastry sheet with 1/3 cup of the strawberry mixture. (Refrigerate any remaining strawberry mixture for up to 5 days.)
- Roll the second sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to smooth creases; place on top of first sheet and press down gently.
- Place filled puff pastry in refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick silicone mat.
- Using a ruler as a guide, cut into pastry into 1 1/2-inch strips. Carefully pick up strips and place on baking sheets, twisting 3 times before laying down.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until puffed and golden brown. Cool 10 minutes and finish with a dusting of powdered sugar.
Cook’s Note: You may substitute 1/3 cup store-bought strawberry jam.