Put a jig in your St. Patrick’s Day party with this recipe from Raglan Road™ Irish Pub and Restaurant at Downtown Disney®.
Makes 1 (3-pound) loaf
Irish Brown Bread
6 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups rolled oats, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup Guinness
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups Guinness
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup olive oil, for service
For Irish brown bread:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 1/2x5x3-inch loaf pan or a 9×9 square pan; set aside.
2. Combine all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, 1 cup rolled oats, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
3. Whisk together buttermilk, Guinness, and molasses in a medium bowl.
4. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture in three batches, mixing and folding dough by hand lightly; the mixture should be sticky.
5. Transfer dough to prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup oats, pressing lightly to adhere.
6. Bake until bread is golden brown and makes a hollow sound when top is tapped, about 40 to 50 minutes.
7. Remove from pan and cool slightly before serving. Serve with Guinness Reduction and olive oil.
For Guinness reduction:
1. Combine the Guinness and sugar in a medium saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Note: Do not leave the pot unattended while it is coming to a boil, as it may boil over.
3. Simmer until mixture is reduced by half and is thick and syrup-like, about 1 hour.
4. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature
5. For service, place 1/4 cup olive oil in a saucer or small plate. Drizzle with 1/4 cup Guinness Reduction.
6. Refrigerate any remaining reduction for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
All recipes are the property of Walt Disney and Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc., and may not be reproduced without express permission.